Before you fall for some truly awesome offer please phone a friend! Buy a friend a cup of coffee and get an objective second opinion before you land yourself in a deal that is far less than awesome.
That free website for you saw, is it really free? Or are you tying yourself into a long-term deal that isn’t really going to be as good as the sales pitch suggested it is?
That amazing service that is free for an unlimited period, is it really free? Or is it only free for the absolute basic features that are almost worthless?
There are countless free services on the Internet but let me tell you, most free services are free because they have little value or because they are getting you in to their sales funnel (start with the free service, look at the enhanced features, realise the free service is a waste of time, you end up buying the premium service).
Most free services prey on the vulnerable and the less knowledgeable. When they make their sales pitch, they do so knowing that anybody who doesn’t quite understand the ins and outs of websites or online services will fall for the hype!
Reading the terms and conditions is something very few of us ever do, completely. That can be a big mistake.
Some of the alarming things I have seen in terms and conditions include
- Free services can be terminated at any time without notice.
- We reserve the right to withdraw our free accounts and services at any time without notice.
- We reserve the right to apply charges to services which are currently free, at any time and without notice.
- Websites built with our free accounts cannot be moved to another ISP within the first 12 months.
- Domains attached to websites using our free services cannot be transferred within the first 12 months.
- Free accounts where there has been no activity for 90 days can be removed without notice.
- We reserve the right to limit the amount of data transferred to and from free accounts.
- Cancellation of free website accounts may incur a cancellation charge.
- Transferring a website or domain from our free services will incur an administrative charge.
Not always as good as it seems, is it?
Don’t fall for anything before running it by someone who’s opinion and expertise you know and trust. Whatever you’re not sure about, its worth the cost of a cup of coffee to get a second opinion.