Twitter Ignorance is the only title I could think of when I decided to write this post… After-all, quite frankly, what else can you call it? People ignoring people is, pretty much, what Twitter is all about. Isn’t it?
I may follow you and you may kindly reciprocate but chances are I won’t make it into your ‘faves’ list and, therefore (and completely understandably), it is extremely unlikely you’ll ever notice any of my tweets in the future.
That is the way the game is played.
Are you playing along?
When people ask my thoughts about Twitter my usual answer is kept short and sweet: Twitter is a bit daft!
Well, it is. Isn’t it?
How can any person follow thousands of conversations simultaneously? Can you? No? Didn’t think so.
So what is the point following someone who is following back tens of thousands of people or hundreds of thousands of people? You will never get a two-way dialogue with them. At least, it is highly unlikely. Unless, of course, you are very special, very pretty or put your payment in the post promptly.
Okay, perhaps I’m being a bit overly negative about the old bird but I have been watching the platform for a few years now and, through my tears of laughter, have observed a few things that made me think little else than it being
“a bit daft“.
Follow people and people will follow back but who is actually paying ANY attention to you beyond the few people who are already ignoring you over on Facebook, subscribed to your mailing list and reading your blog – oh yes, and your family and friends?
Some people do use Twitter in a (almost) sensible way but, lets be honest, most people are playing the numbers game and have mastered the art of ignoring people by dumping followers in lists they never view.
When people ask me about Twitter, at least for the time being, I think me answer will continue to be:
Twitter is a bit daft!
What do you think?
- How To Get Your Twitter Account Closed Down Fast Having seen so many “How To” videos and ‘squeeze pages’ that try yo tell one...
- It’s True: Twitter Users Would Follow A Bad Smell It never fails to amaze me how so many people using all these automated twitter...
- Isn’t Twitter A Funny Old Bird Strange as people can be I was actually very surprised what happened this morning /...
- Twitter – The Absolute Basics I just saw a new user on Twitter asking for help! The tweet was simple:...
- Oh Please – Another Sexy Twitter Avatar Scam Why oh why do these scam-artists keep doing it? I am really starting to dislike...